During the hot summer months, many people find themselves struggling to balance their desire for comfort with their desire to save money on their monthly energy bills. However, there are still plenty of ways you can stay cool all summer long without having to break the bank.
Here are a few tips from an air conditioning service in Central Kansas on how you can make your central air run more efficiently:
- Leave it running: This is contrary to many tips you’ll find on the Internet, but it’s important to keep in mind. Many people turn the AC off while they’re at work all day, only turning it on when they get home or when they’re going to bed. Doing this, however, causes your AC to kick into overdrive so it can get rid of the humidity in your home. For the unit to run as efficiently as possible, you should leave it running all day. You do not necessarily have to keep your air temperature quite as cold if you aren’t home, and you might instead opt to put it into “power saver” mode, but you should definitely not turn it off completely unless you have no need for air conditioning at all that day.
- Create more natural shade: Most of the heat that gets into a house comes from the sun shining through windows or on the roof. You could plant leafy trees or shrubbery around the exterior to help keep your home cooler, which would lead to the air conditioner not having to work as hard. Studies from the U.S. Department of Energy indicate planting trees or shrubs to shade your air conditioner could make the unit up to 10 percent more efficient.
- Use the right window treatments: Again, this is all about preventing too much sun and heat from seeping into your home. Solar screens, for example, block up to 70 percent of solar energy from getting into your house. These are particularly effective tools if you have a lot of east- and west-facing windows, as the sun is lower in the sky when it shines directly through those windows. Window films can also be used to reflect heat away from your home.
- Do not bake or cook: Your air conditioner works hard enough on hot days without having to account for the heat you create when you use your oven. Plus, do you really want to do a lot of baking on a 90-degree day? Avoid turning on your oven and opt for easy or cool foods instead.
- Keep your AC unit in good condition: Get a yearly inspection and maintenance checkup to ensure your unit is in good working order. This will not only help you avoid major repairs, but also ensure it works as efficiently as possible throughout the entire summer so you can stay comfortable and keep your bills low.
For more information about our air conditioning service in Central Kansas, contact us today at K V K Inc.
Categorised in: Air Conditioning Tips
This post was written by admin