Swapping out the HVAC air filter is one of the basic duties of a homeowner. It’s a quick task that can reduce allergens in the air and improve your system’s overall performance. In the spring and fall, when your AC doesn’t get as much use, you can get by with changing your filter every six to eight weeks. In the summer, though, that filter should be changed monthly. This post from your air conditioning service in Central Kansas will cover the reasoning behind changing your filter more often.
How summer weather impacts filters
Higher temperatures and different environmental conditions mean filter replacement is more important than ever at this time of year. Here are the ways summer months affect air filters:
- Greater air circulation: If you’re like a lot of homeowners, your AC will be running day and night throughout the summer. An AC that’s constantly running passes more air through the filter. With more air comes more debris, which means your filter will get dirty faster.
- More allergens: Mold, pollen, ragweed and other airborne contaminants are more present during the hot and humid months. Not only do these wreak havoc on our allergies, but they also clog up the air filter. Swapping out your filter each month will protect your unit from these contaminants and help keep your indoor air clean.
- Higher humidity levels: Humid air lends the perfect conditions for mold and bacteria to multiply and spread. If these contaminants are trapped in your air filter, they could spread into your air ducts and fly throughout your home. The only way to stop mold and bacteria from getting passed through the air is to swap out your filter.
Is there anything else you can do?
Besides regularly checking and changing your air filter, these are the other things you can do to improve your unit’s performance and reduce allergens in the air:
- Get a spring checkup: Calling an air conditioning service in Central Kansas for an annual inspection is the best way to ensure the health and longevity of your HVAC system. We advise calling our professionals at KVK Inc. sooner rather than later, as our appointment schedule fills up quickly at this time of year.
- Keep everything clean: Be sure to clean the area around your AC unit and have the ductwork professionally cleaned. A tidy HVAC system is less likely to pump allergens and pollutants throughout your home.
- Call for repairs as soon as possible: A yearly maintenance call should reduce the chances of a midsummer breakdown. However, one can happen at any time. If that happens to you, be sure to call for repairs right away. The longer you wait, the more extensive the damage can become.
Temperatures are starting to rise, which means now is the time to call an air conditioning service in Central Kansas! We provide maintenance services for homes of all shapes and sizes, and we even offer discounts for our members. Give us a call today to learn more about our services.
Categorised in: Air Conditioning Tips
This post was written by Writer